Well the summer is coming to a close and so is this internship. I can't believe how quick the summer has flown by and that I will back at NEC soon to start another year. Last week I was on vacation but this week and the week before I left for vacation were soley devoted to working on my lunch article and getting it primed for publication. Originally my focus for this article was supposed to be a comparison between lunches thirty years ago and lunches today. Since I was having trouble finding enough information I shifted my focus to school nutrition and what local schools are doing to improve the foods that they serve. I found much more information on that topic since that was a hot topic a few years ago. The week before I went on vacation basically consisted of making phone calls to people in various school districts in the local area to see what they are doing to improve school lunches and did some internet research about what is being done nationwide and globally. At first I had a little bit too much information about what was going on globally and nationally and I had trouble deciding what was reallly important but once I reread my information over again a few times it wasn't that hard to determine the information I needed and the information that I didn't need. Before I left for vacation I submitted my article for review to see if it would be publishable. When I got back on Monday I found out that it was nearly perfect I just needed to edit a few things and move a few things around. It is going to be published in the Back To School supplement on next week's Cabinet.
Overall I would most definitley say that this internship was very worth it. It helped to gain experience in my field and I learned a lot about what goes on behind the scenes of a newspaper. I hope to carry some of what I learned as far as ways to improve my writing goes in order to help improve the artilcles that I write for the New Englander even if the improvement is very small
Janine
Hour Log
Week 9 7/24-7/-26
7/24 10-4
7/25 10-4
7/26- 10-2:30
Week 11 8/15-8/17
Tuesday 8/15 10-3
Wednesday 8-16 10-:2:30
No comments:
Post a Comment