Right now I should be studying for my final for speech and language development.. I will get back to that as soon as I am done writing in here. Overall the class the been very interesting. The course load has been demanding and somewhat challenging. So much material was thrown at me at once and I feel like there wasn't enough time to catalog it all in my brain. I did learn a lot though. It gave me an intereting perspective on how people communicate with each other. Due to financial issues I will be taking a break from school from the time being so I can take sometime to think if Speech Lang Path is the field I want to persure. If this not end up being my choice I still have my degeee from NEC to fall back on and will continue to look for a job in that field or jobs at theatres in the public relations department.
Possible Fields of study I could into instead of Speech Lang Path if I decide to go back to school in January:
- Marketing Certificate
- Spreadsheet Certificate
- Early Childhood Certificate
- Human Services Certificate
So we'll see where things end up with that.
Alumni Weekend a few weeks ago made me really nostalgic about NEC. I don't really miss the town of Henniker because there is not much to do there but I miss the general atmosphere of NEC and all my friends. Basically I just miss being in the college setting.
I miss
- Theatre
- SEC Events
- Midnight Madness
- Movie nights with my friends
- International Night
- Pancake Breakfasts at the end of each semester
I do not miss
- 3:30 am fire alarms
- 8:30 am classes (luckily I did not have too many of those)
- Anxiety I put myself under about passing certain classes and getting on deans list
- the food at Gilmore Dining Hall (except for the omlettes and the ice cream)
I wonder if things would have been different if I had chosen to major in education at NEC?When I was thinking about going back to school for Speech Pathology that thought constantly ran through my head and it still irks me. At the time when I was deciding on what to major in at NEC I was having a really hard time deciding what to study. I was choosing between education and communications because I had two passions that I wanted to persue.. working with kids and writing. Theatre was an added passion but I didn't think there was too much I could do with that since acting is not really a strength. I consider that more a hobby then something I could make a job out of. Not trying to offend people who are studying theatre or who have studied it. I am sure people find their own individual succeses in whatever field they choose. I chose to stick with my passion for writing and study communications. At this point I am not saying I regret that choice.. I just wonder if things would have been different if I had chosen to major in education or could have found some way to create my own major in order to combine all three passions (education.writing and theater) together. I guess it will just take a while to find a niche and a job that I truly like. Right now I am working at Target and that is going well so far. Can't complain too much really. I do think I need a second job or find some way to get more hours so I can start paying back my loans from NEC. I also still have my freelance job at the Milford Cabinet which is going well.
Something else I have constantly wondered about my four years at NEC is how much different things would have been if I had not been involved in so many clubs? I met a great deal of people through being involved in various clubs at NEC and had fun being involved in all the activities the clubs put together. However, a thing I had a lot of issues with was time management skills and managing my time between meetings, going to events and homework. I realized that if I had done a better job at managing my time and given myself more time to focus on my homework then I would have done better in my classes and been able to more easily achieve the goal of making deans list each semester. If I could go back and do my four years at NEC all over I think the main thing I would do diffferent would to have not to have been part of so many activities. My goal with being involved on campus was to get a good diversity of activites under my belt and mix old experiences with new ones. That goal was very easily accomplished. I was in 13 clubs at one point and that was way too many clubs to be in. I often found myself to be frazzled because as the years went along the work load in my classes got relativley harder. As I said before time management was a HUGE issue for me
If I could do my four years at NEC over again these are clubs I would have joined and stuck with throughout the entirity of my four years
- Carriage Theatre Ensemble (student run theatre troupe)
- CAB/SEC (Student Activities Committee)
- WNEC (Radio Station) had i not been involved in so many other things I would have had more time to do my show
- New Englander (Newspaper)
- TEACH (community service club for education majors)
Well.. enough procratinating back to homework.
Janine
No comments:
Post a Comment