Tuesday, June 20, 2006

So excited! I just can't hide it!

The following aritcle will be on page 6 of Thursday's Milford Cabinet.

I Hope You Had The Time of Your LifeSouhegan Graduates reflect; look to the futureBy Janine Leffler

It’s amazing how fast time flies, isn’t it? It seems like yesterday when I was walking across the stage to receive my diploma, and now here I am, two years later on the other side of stage watching this year’s seniors graduate. I experienced many of the same emotions that this year’s seniors are feeling when it comes to graduating; nervous to leave all things that are familiar behind, yet excited to start a new chapter in the book of life. Vanessa Patten, eighteen, of Mont Vernon, who will be attending The University of Vermont this fall to study animal sciences has the following advice for next year’s seniors: “Remember to always do what you love. Don’t stress too much about getting into the “top” universities or Ivy Leagues, but instead find a college that is truly a good fit for you. Every school has something to offer, no matter where it lies in the Princeton Review or whatever. Always follow your own dreams and no one else’s.” Shannon Stone, 18, also of Mont Vernon who will be attending Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island in the fall says the thing that she’ll miss most about Souhegan is “ My teachers because they have always been great- so funny and smart. I will also miss my friends – they helped me with everything.”
Salutatorian Caroline Morley reflected on in her speech what makes us New Englanders unique as well as how important it is for her fellow graduates to remember their past “ Some of us have lived here forever, others only for a few years. But we all share that connection ,and a certain bond with other because of it As we go out into the real world , scattered around the country and the world, it is important to remember this small town past: From geese, to snow to 4th of July parades, we all have memories here.”
As an incoming college junior at New England College in Henniker I have the following advice for this year’s seniors: Don’t be afraid to try something new. Follow Souhegan’s mission statement and push your comfortable limits. Think outside the box a little and join a club you may not have joined in high school. Heck, I was never on the newspaper in high school and here I am writing this article for the Milford Cabinet as part of a summer internship. My love for theatre was what drove me to be the theatre correspondent for my college’s newspaper. Joining clubs is also a good way to meet new people who you might not normally talk to outside of class.
In the words of Judy Garland “ Always be a first rate version of yourself instead of a second rate version of somebody else.” Congratulations to the Souhegan High School class of 2006!




I'm so proud of myself and you all should be proud of me too! :) YAY!!

1 comment:

Maryann said...

I AM PROUD OF YOU---Love you- MOM