Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Livejournal Writer's Block- Work Work Work

Livejournal Writer's block question from July which I have furthur expanded on.
Question: Would you perfer to work at a job you love that makes no money or work at a job you hate that make little money? (or something of the sort, don't remember the exact phrasing of the question)
This writer's block question was from July none of the recent writer's block questions appeal to me so I am basically going through my archives and updating old writer's block entries for the time being.I don't know the proper way to answer this question. I feel it important to like what you are doing so you are not insanely bored to death but it is also crucial to make money to pay the bills. One of my career goals is to do public relations work for a theatre. Ultimately I know of job of this nature will not supply me with a substanial income. In geneal jobs have been hard to come by since I graduated from college two years ago. What I have learned in time that I have had in the vast amount of time since I've been in the job market is what job fit me and what jobs don't fit me. For example retail does not fit me. I find certain aspects of working in retail to be quite stressful. This primarily came to the forefront in 2009 when I worked at Target on Black Friday. I realized that in certain situations I was not as good under preassure as I thought as I was. Similar type of thing happened at Callogix when I had to deal with irate people on the phone who were unhappy with the products they had purchased. Since I have been in Project Search I have found myself being successful. My current intenrship in Cardiac Rehab is going very well and I am very much enjoying it. I have learned a lot not only about the department itself but also the different aspects or heart disease that the patients can suffer from. As I look ahead into the new year my main goal is to graduate from Project Search and find a decent job so I can move out of my house and get my own apartment. As much as I love my family I am certainly getting to the point where I am ready for a change and a little bit more independance. Matt and I have made a joint goal to save up to move in together by the fall of 2012, This means we proabably won't be taking anymore big vacations for at least another year or year and a half. Instead we may go on little mini weekend trips to Cape Cod or the White Mountains. In a way I wish the career development class I took senior year at NEC has prepared me more for life after college. In certain ways I feel like I have gained more skills from the job training programs I have done since I graduated then what I learned in that class...though I guess the point of the class was to introduce people to interview skills and resume writing.

No comments: