Yesterday was my dad's 50th birthday party. It was nice to see my family since I haven't seen them since Christmas. :) Before the party I relaxed and did my homework for public relations class which isn't due til Thursday. Today I spent all afternoon working on my Meaning of The Moving Image midterm paper. This is first time I actually sat down and wrote a paper without thinking about the page requirement when I was writing it. I got it to 3 pages single spaced and 5 and a half double spaced.. which is phenominal because it's supposed to be 4-6 pages. I feel very accomplished right now. Horrray!
The remaining homework I have to do is
- PR Type up case study ex 12 & 13; start research for final project
- Lit: Journal Entry: Reaction to poetry reading I went on Thursday... I might even impress Sylva by throwing in a poem of my own into the journal entry... yeah I'm that good :)
I did pretty good. I suprised myself actually. Now I need to get myself on a better system for buckling down and getting homework done at school. This might require going to the library and Sciecnce Building computer labs often because I find myself to be less distracted and able to get a lot more stuff done when I do homework in those places. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays I bring my homework to work with me at the galley just to fend off getting too bored and also so the four hours while I am there waiting for the phone to ring isn't consistant of surfing myspace and facebook. Next week is going be the most hectic week of my life because it's tech week for Early One Evening At The Rainbow Bar And Grille. I have crew hours this weekend on Saturday and Sunday and then tech rehearsals on Monday and Tuesday, Dress Rehearsal on Wednesday and opening night on Thursday. I will post pics if I get time to take any during rehearsals, crew hours and backstage. I am so pumped for the show. It's going to be amazing!
I am still in awe that this semester is halfway over. Where did the time go? I have no idea. I am getting so close to graduting I can almost taste it. I'm getting anxious for May 10th to come quite honestly. For a person who loves school as much I do that statement might be shocking for you all to hear come out of my mouth. As much as I love school I am ready to take on the next chapter of my life.. although I am not quite sure which direction I am headed in. Over Christmas vacation I have to start thinking about where I want to apply for jobs next year. The thing that kills me is that I don't drive so I'm going to have to depend on public transportation to get me places. And that my friends is the number 1 reason why I need to get out of Amherst. I'm not saying I want to move to New York... that's a little extreme and I can't really see myself living in New York anyways... at least not right away... got to work myself up the ladder in the working world. The top five places where I could picture myself working are Boston, Manchester, Portland Maine, Concord and Portsmouth. I have many different experiences both inside and outside of school that have inttoduced me to various fields of commuincations.
Since freshmen year I have:
- Been involved with my school's radio station for three years as a DJ and have enjoyed doing that.
- Been involved with my school newspaper since freshmen year writing articles about the theatre shows and couple of sports articles here or there. I was never involved in journalism in high school but when I decided to join the NewEnglander freshmen year I thought to myself " Hey, I like writing, I like theatre so why combine my two passions there." Last year I was even theatre editor which was awesome.
- Been on the editorial staff for the school's literary magazine The Henniker Review. Hopefully I'll get a poem or two published in it this year.. that would be a good way to end my senior year with a bang but we'll see.
- Had an internship with the Milford Cabinet in Summer 2006. That was a good way to get my feet wet and see how a real newspaper is put together and published. It also introduced me to writing different types of articles I am not used to writing
and of coure this summer I had an internship @ New London Barn Playhouse. I can't say enough what an awesome experience it was and how much I miss it. Like writing articles for the NewEnglander working for the Barn Playhouse was a way for me to combine two of my passions writing (in the form of writing press releases and other forms of promotional material for the plays) and theater (in the form of doing backstage work, acting and assitant directing). So many awesome memories from this summer as I've already touched upon in previous entries.. miss everything and everyone sooooooooooo much.
So all of these various experiences have led me to get somewhat of a handle on general ideas for what I want to do for my future. There are many possible options that I could do. Doing PR work for a theatre could be a possibilty wheather it's the Barn Playhouse, The Palace Theatre or theatres in Boston or Portsmouth. I could do freelance writing for local newspapers for awhile or maybe see if I could write reviews on plays since I am such a theatre buff. There are so many options.. I honestly don't know where to begin with looking for jobs... like at all.
Well it's getting late and i have to get up early tomorrow because I have a drs appt @ 9:00
Peace Out
Love
Janine
No comments:
Post a Comment